The pristine nature– fresh air and the warmth of golden sunshine enkindles the soul, the melodious chants and hymns elevate the spirits, the picturesque Himalayan backdrop refreshes the senses, the alluring temples are a charmer, and the adventure sports provide thrilling feelings — this is Rishikesh, India — a plateful of two worlds.
Be it rejuvenating yoga and ayurvedic sessions or satiating the hunger pangs with delicious food; or even an extremely adventurous cliff jumping– the town of Rishikesh has something glorious to offer each soul. There are endless things to do in Rishikesh and with such diversity, it becomes difficult to select what to see and what not to do. Therefore, I have compiled a list of the top five things to do in Rishikesh.
Come and explore the town of Rishikesh
1. Adventure Sports
Rishikesh is one of the hottest hubs of the wanderers and the venturesome. With amazing landscapes, scenic beauty, and gushing Ganges between the rocks forming mighty rapids, Rishikesh, India, is ideal for thrilling sports. Some of the top adventure activities include:
- River Rafting: River Rafting has become an effortless synonym with Rishikesh. They perfectly compliment each other in a way that one cannot think of Rishikesh without the other and vice-versa. Fight the mighty rapids of the cold Ganges in a scenic environment and feel the eternal pleasure and refreshment. If you are an adventure-junkie then river rafting is just the right thing for you to indulge in.
- Bungee Jumping: Fuel the daring soul in you, Bungee jumping is another fun activity to do in Rishikesh, India. Feel your heartbeat as you kiss the gravity dropping yourself in the air from a height of more than 80 meters above the ground.
2. Yoga, Spirituality, and Religion
The mystical town of Rishikesh is avowed as the yoga capital of the globe. Incessant ringing of the temple bells, hermits, saints, incense wafts on the breeze can be seen and felt everywhere.
- Glistening Ganga Aarti: Triveni Ghat is a popular point of interest among tourists in Rishikesh, Uttarakhand, India. Witness the vibrant Hindu tradition and get in touch with a sense of inner peace by attending the glorious Ganga Aarti.
- Delve into Meditation practices: The Vashishta Gufa is an ancient cave tucked far away from the city lights in blissful surroundings. The calm and serene surroundings make it conducive to take up meditation practices and to regain the lost harmony of the life.
- Live the Ashram Life: Rishikesh is a home to bountiful ashrams nestled in scenic locations overlooking the torrential Ganges where the folks can learn the science of yoga, enjoy a wondrous stay and can revitalize their soul in natural beauty.
- Yoga Schools & Ayurvedic centers: Yoga and Ayurveda originated in India and Rishikesh is one of the best places when it comes to authentic Yoga teachings and Ayurvedic treatments and therapies. You can easily find the best yoga schools in Rishikesh where you can learn the art of yoga and there are dozens of centers where you can undergo healing ayurvedic treatments to find the mind-body serenity at affordable prices.
- Beautiful temples: Neelkanth Mahadev Temple, Kunjapuri Temple, Trimbakeshwar Temple, are some of the best religious places to visit in Rishikesh, India. Each temple has something unique about it, be it the architecture, the view, the rituals and so much more.
3. Historical Love
A picturesque location steeped in history, Rishikesh boasts of a plenty of places that one can visit and admire. It is a land of tranquilizing spots and architectural marvels that signifies rich history. Key places in Rishikesh that is a big not-to-miss include:
- The Laxman Jhula: Walk on the swinging Laxman and Ram Jhula– the glorious attraction of beautiful Rishikesh, India. Suspended over the sacred river Ganga, this architectural wonder speaks of great history. A treat for the shopping lovers as there are various vendors near the Laxman Jhula selling jewelry pieces and other amazing stuff.
- The Beatles Ashram: For all the Great Rock Band Beatles lovers, visiting the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi’s ashram where the famous music band Beatles stayed and learned the art of transcendental meditation is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. The calmness of the place shall leave you spellbound and make you fall in love with its spiritual magnificence.
4. Flora and Fauna
Rishikesh is endowed with nature’s bounty. Away from the rapid city pace, in the midst of chirping birds and rustling leaves, one can explore many hidden beauties in the forests surrounding this town.
- Rajaji National Park: Go for a jungle safari in Rajaji National Park on rocky terrains and become a bystander to Asiatic Elephants, Royal Bengal Tigers, diverse species of birds, etc.
- Valley Of Flowers: Take a stroll in the fairy-land of myriad colors– The valley of flowers. It is the meadow of endemic alpine flowers that revitalizes the senses of the visitors.
5. Healthy and Delicious Food
Rishikesh’s food culture is diverse and impressive just as the town itself. The house of plenty of cafes, fine-dine restaurants, and other eating joints amidst the pleasant surroundings.
Take a break from the busy schedule, head to Rishikesh and try out all these things listed here for a life-transforming trip.
- Buddha Cafe: A funky tree-styles restaurant, overlooking the Ganga river with Appetizing menu and large sizes pizzas.
- Pyramid Cafe: Satiate your hunger pangs with an assortment of home-cooked Indian dishes, Tibetan delicacies under a pyramid-shaped roof.
Excited Much? Visit, see, and experience all these things upon your visit to Rishikesh and enjoy the best time of your life.
Latest posts by Manmohan Singh (see all)
- 5 Amazing Things to Do in Rishikesh for Women Travelers - March 12, 2018