8 Travel Trends to Watch for in 2018

Travel is set to make a huge impact in 2018, especially with the continued growth of travel. Tour operators, destination companies, and the likes will see higher expectations from more sophisticated travelers.

Experiential Travel at the Heart of Travelers

Travelers are still searching for unique, authentic experiences. Destination exploration, adventure seekers desire to have their journeys at the “heart of their experience,” setting it apart from all else!

Online Booking is the New Norm

Mobile booking will continue to grow in 2018. In fact, 82% of bookings were being made via tour operator’s websites, with 49% being made via mobile devices.

Online Reviews Have the Biggest Impact

9 out of 10 travelers consider online reviews as an important factor in making decisions. 95% of travelers trust reviews via third-party sites such as TripAdvisor.

Blurring the Lines of Generational Differences

Travelers in their 30s to 50s are more interested in relaxing getaways, with travelers 65+ more interested in adventure and social opportunities. That means, we can expect to see adventure-seeking Baby Boomers, well-traveled Gen Xers and Millennials and curious, yet tech-savvy Gen Zs. Everyone is hunting for life-changing experiences through their travel ventures, and travel providers have to step up the game and create tours and activities that cater and appeal to their lifestyles rather than their age group.

Focus Shifts from Millennials to Gen Xers

Gen Xers are not considered the largest or coolest market but they’re the ones with the most money, spending the most time on travel. An international survey, conducted in Germany, China, and the US states that 68% of Generation X are the top shoppers when it comes to large purchases such as travel and activities, spending an average of $627 per day on travel. 61% of Americans have children, with family travel as a priority.

The East is Rising

The Arabic and Indian markets are on the rise, and by 2020, researchers predict that the Arabic market will grow by 50%, with 50% of the being Millennials. The younger travelers prefer adventurous excursions.

Maturing Chinese Market Rapidly Growing

More Chinese are taking trips abroad, and we can start seeing more visits to the same countries/destinations. These travelers are huge for the repeated market since they are familiar with local culture and language.

Sustainable Travel Connects Travelers to Local Communities

Overtourism is ruining certain destinations, so travelers will be looking to visit lesser-known destinations to satisfy their wanderlust.

What type of travel will you be trending or exploring in 2018?

Comments

• Alli Smith

I always book online and I always check TripAdvisor before booking a resort, etc. Discovering lesser known places to travel is always fun too. Loved reading about the new travel trends to watch!

January 12, 2018 at 6:27 am
  • I love to travel and am already planning my trips for 2018!! It’s going to be a great year!!

January 12, 2018 at 6:40 am
  • Heather @ Kraus House Mom

I get bored easily so when I travel I need to know that there will be enough to do, especially if the kids are coming. I research the area for attractions and interesting places.

January 12, 2018 at 6:46 am
  • valmg

We don’t have any travel planned for 2018 at this point. Authentic and believable reviews can be very helpful when deciding where to go.

January 12, 2018 at 7:02 am
  • Candy Kage

You see whole families from grandparents to kids to grandkids going on vacations together now. We traveled to three different countries with our grown children last year and had a blast.

January 12, 2018 at 7:28 am
  • I wish I could travel more but lack of funds and having kids makes it tricky! Maybe in a few years or so I can do it more. I know this summer we’re going to Ohio!

January 12, 2018 at 8:19 am

I will travel anywhere that I can go. I love to travel. I basically work so I have money to travel. I love adventure I love relaxing I will do anything almost.

January 12, 2018 at 8:39 am
  • Heather

This is a lot of great info. We don’t travel enough but when we do, we always book through an app or online and always check reviews.

January 12, 2018 at 9:51 am
  • If I had more money I’d travel more. That’s one thing that I’m looking forward to when my girls are out of the house.

January 12, 2018 at 11:28 am
  • Ashley @irishred02

I believe that online booking is the new thing. I don’t use travel agents and online makes it easier and quicker for me to get our vacations booked!

January 12, 2018 at 12:37 pm
  • Crystal Nicole Collier

Great info! I’m definitely looking forward to traveling more this year!

January 12, 2018 at 2:11 pm
  • Bethel

This one is very helpful especially for the ones having business in Travel Industry. Loving your gifs ?

January 12, 2018 at 8:46 pm
  • Brianna

These are some great observations on the way that travel is transforming as time goes on. Especially with the shift in technology- travel technology specifically.

January 12, 2018 at 10:39 pm
  • Vyjay Rao

Interesting post. Though the focus may be on the millennials, it is indeed the Gen X that is the segment that would account for the maximum revenue for the travel sector. The aspirations of travelers too are indeed changing and so are their expectations.

January 13, 2018 at 7:40 am
  • Tomiko

I’m a genx and I’m looking for off the beaten path places to go for Xmas next year.. I’m tired of the same ole same ole and I don’t want crowds.. great list

January 13, 2018 at 8:59 am
  • chubskulit

We always book online, it’s a lot easier. These are helpful tips especially for people who travels a lot.

January 13, 2018 at 8:29 pm
  • Kita Bryant

You’re definitely right when it comes to online booking. If I can’t just book it right there online, I look for a different site where I can.

January 13, 2018 at 9:20 pm
  • Ola Broom

These are interesting trends. I’m happy to see industries giving attention to us X’ers. So much advertising seems to be spent on generations at either extremity.

January 13, 2018 at 9:47 pm
  • I’m loving all of this information! As someone who travels a ton, it’s important to know! I’m in the midst of planning some trips and this will be super helpful.

January 13, 2018 at 11:20 pm
  • BohemianBabushka

Very interesting about the different groups, destinations and international travel. You’ve got Babushka with her age group perfectly. BB and Sweetie want relaxin.g getaways.

January 14, 2018 at 12:18 am
  • That is good study done. The senior lot are indeed looking for adventure in tourism. and with overtourism of some places I am certainly looking for some lesser known destinations.

January 14, 2018 at 5:09 am
  • What an interesting post! Thanks for putting this together

January 14, 2018 at 5:27 am
  • We book most of the attractions online and always try to avoid the queues. And true enough, we always check out the reviews of attractions or restaurants before making our decision too. Nice share!

January 14, 2018 at 7:30 am
  • EG Green

I can definitely see a rise in sustainable travel. Last year I began to focus on this in my own travels and I hope to spread awareness to others to do so as well.

January 14, 2018 at 8:53 am
  • Kristine Nicole Alessandra VA

Interesting information. If it was just me and my husband going on vacation, we’d go for a relaxing trip to some tropical island! A quiet private beach away from the mad crowds or a log cabin in the woods would be perfect!

January 14, 2018 at 11:02 am
  • This is good information. I would like to travel more internationally. I am definitely seeking an adventure.

January 14, 2018 at 11:22 am
  • Terri Huggins

I agree with the bit about over tourism. Some locales are just too crowded with tourists. That’s why Tobago is one of my favorite places to visit. It’s paradise’s best kept secret!

January 14, 2018 at 1:34 pm
  • Bernetta

Very good info! I usually book my adventures on a desktop vs a mobile. You have some great places on this list too!

January 14, 2018 at 8:16 pm
  • GREAT trends, and I feel that they are right on the nose! I still haven’t done a full vacation booking on line, but I’m looking to do that for the first time this year! We do book our attractions online once we get to our destination, but not all at once, because we never know what we’re going to feel like doing once we get there.

January 14, 2018 at 9:50 pm
  • Michelle Robinson

I won’t be able to travel outside of the U.S. this year, but I plan to in the next few years. Keeping up with the travel trends will help me to make my decision. Thanks for the post!

January 15, 2018 at 12:20 pm
  • I can definitely see this. I never consulted with a travel agent. Didn’t really know they existed anymore.

January 16, 2018 at 9:44 am
  • Great info. I’m here repping for the GenXers, and traveling with kids.

January 16, 2018 at 2:13 pm
  • This is great info. I definitely agree with online booking and online reviews. Those two are going to be really hot this year.

January 22, 2018 at 12:10 pm