CoverGirl Trends Diversity Naming Maye Musk First Ever Timeless Beauty Ambassador

Behind the scenes at Maye Musk’s CoverGirl photo shoot. Credit Covergirl

CoverGirl made a bold statement on Wednesday, September 27, 2017, when they announced that the newest face of the brand is a timeless beauty, 69-year-old Maye Musk. Musk, best known for being a model, is the mother of Elon Musk, a Tesla entrepreneur. She is also a dietician and nutritionist, who holds two masters degrees. This ground-breaking news, set a new record within the beauty industry, as Musk is said to be the oldest CoverGirl to represent the brand. With diversity taking the industry by storm, especially with Rihanna’s Fenty Beauty recently hitting the industry in an aggressive campaign, that began to shatter the glass ceilings within an industry that has left women of color feeling excluded. Now, with CoverGirl’s newest ambassador representing a generation that isn’t usually celebrated as much within the wave of beauty trends, diversity is becoming the new black! And Musk couldn’t be any happier. “I’m so excited to say that I’m now officially a CoverGirl! My three kids, ten grandchildren and I have had the hardest time trying to keep it a secret until today’s big announcement,” she said in an Instagram post. “Who knew, after many years of admiring the gorgeous Covergirl models, that I would be one at 69 years of age? It just shows, never give up. Thank you, Covergirl, for including me in your tribe of diversity.”

Maye did her own makeup, hair, manicure, and styling in this 1965 makeup ad. Credit Maye Musk, Inc

Musk has joined a chic collection of inspirational women, who have also represented CoverGirl, including Issa Rae, Ayesha Curry, and Zendaya. A few months ago, CoverGirl also signed its first ever CoverBoy, James Charles and also Nura Afia, the brand’s first hijab-wearing ambassador. Musk has an impressive modeling resume, so she’s no stranger to the camera and being featured in print. In fact, she has appeared on covers such as Elle Canada, and New York magazine. She’s starred in campaigns for Virgin America, Target, and Clinique and has been photographed for Vanity Fair, Vogue Korea, and Vogue Italia. The 69-year-old beauty maven sat with New York Times recently, in an interview. She said that aging has been good to her. It’s developed her confidence. She doesn’t try to hide her age, and she’s proud to be styling 70, which she is turning in April 2018. Maye started modeling at age 15. Musk says that at age 28, she was the oldest model in the city. Her advice to young models is, “be nice to everybody. Keep your brain active. Read a lot.” She also wants them to know that “you’re perfect. You don’t need to lose weight.” From a nutritionist perspective, Maye says that eating perfectly is essential to keeping energy. Maye Musk is the epiphany of motivation, proving that you can be beautiful at any age.

CoverGirl is very happy with their decision to make Musk the newest face of the brand. Ukonwa Oja,

Copyright: DUNIA Magazine

CoverGirl’s Senior Vice President says that Musk is “not only a timeless beauty but a visionary who has always followed her own path, creating new opportunities and paving the way for so many others who might not meet the industry standard of ‘model,’ but are truly beautiful in every regard.”

Comments

• Robin Rue

It’s about time to be honest. Old people can be stunningly beautiful just as much as a girl in her early 20’s can. I love this campaign.

October 19, 2017 at 8:02 am
  • I’ve always liked CoverGirl! I just love their beauty ambassador. She’s gorgeous and has amazing skin.

October 19, 2017 at 8:24 am
  • Alli Smith

Way to go, Covergirl! Beauty is not an age and just because a woman is older doesn’t mean she’s washed up! Now that I’m in my 50’s, I get extra excited when I see an older woman doing what she loves. Beauty is timeless!

October 19, 2017 at 8:39 am
  • Tomi_C

I haven’t heard of Cover Girl’s Ukonwa Oja brand. Maye Musk is gorgeous and I can’t wait to see her Cover Girl ads. I think what shocks me most is her announcing it in an Instagram post. I cannot imagine my grandma on Instagram.

October 19, 2017 at 8:59 am
  • Footloose Dev

though i do not understand much of beauty products, the way you write is quite compelling. also your pictures are simply goregious.

October 19, 2017 at 9:45 am
  • I freaking love this!!! As a woman over 40 I think it is about time we embrace women that don’t look 16 and be proud when we age. Companies have always pushed to make us younger looking but I think all of these women are beautiful.

October 19, 2017 at 10:06 am
  • Vanessa Palma

She is absolutely stunning and an inspiration. Who says life and careers are over when you get older? I’m so thrilled to see her as a Cover Girl and hope they continue the trend toward beauties of all ages.

October 19, 2017 at 11:28 am

She looks absolutely gorgeous. I hope I look as nice as she does when I get to her age. I am very glad that cover girl has decided to include all sorts of age, colors and nationalities! I think the world is beautiful with all its colors and nationalities.

October 19, 2017 at 11:51 am
  • Rachel Akers

Well now that is just awesome. She is beautiful and I love that Cover Girl recognizes that you don’t’ have to be 20 to be fab!

October 19, 2017 at 11:58 am
  • I love cover Girl for this and some of their other choices. I really like how they keep it real. There are so many beautiful people in this world, not just the ones that look alike.

October 19, 2017 at 1:46 pm
  • Nadalie Bardowell

Wow how incredible is that! This is a great new look especially the diversity that you mentioned in makeup and advertising. Bringing to light new looks and new products is great, especially Fenty products are getting amazing reviews. For 69, she’s looking fabulous, very very fabulous!

October 19, 2017 at 3:21 pm
  • I love that Covergirl is recognizing that beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and ages. It’s about time we acknowledge that mature women are gorgeous too.

October 19, 2017 at 5:45 pm
  • Melanie Smith

I have been loving the makeup since young! And cover girl is so good with it! I love her style!

October 19, 2017 at 6:57 pm
  • Sarah

That is awesome! She looks amazing. I would have never guessed she was 69!

October 19, 2017 at 7:27 pm
  • Melissa Dixon

I am a big fan of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. That is so true for even magazine covers, what attracts a buyer is probably a million different things but for the longest time every cover had the same look on it. I am glad to see something different and interesting rather than the same old look.

October 19, 2017 at 7:32 pm
  • Claudia Krusch

I love that Covergirl chose an older model for their campaign. I hope more companies follow suit.

October 19, 2017 at 8:41 pm
  • WEMAKE7

This is so awesome! She looks great and its nice to see them do this.

October 19, 2017 at 8:46 pm
  • Shelley Polarbelle

Covergirl is paving the way!!! This absolutely goes along with my post today! I hope to look that good at 59, I can’t yet imagine 69 but she looks beautiful and ageless.

October 19, 2017 at 10:07 pm
  • michele dickerson

I absolutely love this! It’s a refreshing change to see the older generation take part of this new trend. Love it!

October 19, 2017 at 10:23 pm
  • reddel

What an inspirational woman. She had an amazing career, raised a brilliant son and is now modeling again! I’m so happy that Cover Girl has picked an older woman especially one who is so talented and beautiful.

October 19, 2017 at 10:41 pm
  • Goodness, Maye is fabulous. If only I could be that much of a beauty in my sixties. Kudos to Covergirl for putting her in the forefront at her age, makes me want to go out and buy Covergirl.

October 19, 2017 at 10:53 pm
  • Dina

Wow! That is really awesome for CoverGirl! Beauty comes in all ages, shapes and sizes! It just shows that Covergirl is driving away from the model stereotype! Great job!

October 19, 2017 at 11:15 pm
  • Such an inspiration. I love that they are including all ages.

October 20, 2017 at 9:25 am
  • Lori Who Needs A Cape?

Big props to CoverGirl for embracing beauty in all ages. I’m in my mid-40’s and can honestly say it is refreshing to see other generations being highlighted.

October 20, 2017 at 12:28 pm
  • Althea Penelope

She looks so beautiful even though she is 69 years old. Such an inspirational women. Perfect for cover girl.

October 20, 2017 at 2:19 pm
  • Adriana

This is amazing and so inspirational! So great for her, she is going to be even more of an icon! This is incredible! CoverGirl always does amazing things!

October 20, 2017 at 5:37 pm
  • Kelly Reci

This new covergirl is so stunning and gorgeous. She’s still beautiful even though she’s 69. How amazing is that.

October 21, 2017 at 2:29 am
  • Claire

I love that Cover Girl is doing this! I think it is so important to embrace all ages and phases in life. There is such a negative mindset with aging. But this gives me hope!!

October 21, 2017 at 3:23 am
  • Kudos to Cover Girl and for being so accepting of all ages! This woman is absolutely stunning and deserves to be on the cover!

October 21, 2017 at 4:58 am
  • She looks fabulous and as on older person myself, I think it’s great that they aren’t showing young faces. I’ve been using Cover Girl since the beginning of time it seems.

October 21, 2017 at 8:51 am
  • I’m glad Cover Girl is starting this trend of accepting beauty of all ages! Maye Musk is so beautiful.

October 21, 2017 at 4:17 pm
  • I absolutely love that they’ve chosen her for their ambassador. She is beautiful and I love the they’re sending the message that you can be fashionable and beautiful at any age!

October 22, 2017 at 3:34 pm
  • Coralie

I love this! She is beautiful and so talented. A great addition to the fab CoverGirl team.

October 23, 2017 at 12:18 am
  • Elizabeth O

Maye musk is still so gorgeous even she’s 69 years of old. Glad that you’ve been chosen for cover girl ambassador. You really deserves it.

October 27, 2017 at 1:25 pm
  • Ashley Lya

I am absolutely here for this representation on all levels! She is stunning and deserves to be honored… way to go Cover Girl!!

November 1, 2017 at 12:28 am