Travel Tuesday: A Land of Wander Down Under

Thanks to blockbuster movie stars and harmonious rock groups (and a steakhouse restaurant chain), Australia has made a name for herself with most Americans. But those who have visited the land of Oz know Australia as a truly unique destination. From beachside bliss to cosmopolitan cities, explore the wonders of Australia.

Great Barrier Reef

Stretching along the Queensland coastland for over 1,200 miles, Australia’s Great Barrier Reef is the world’s largest coral reef system and is listed as one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. The area offers some of the best maritime activities with an abundance of coral cays and fish species. Looking to splurge a bit but not into diving adventures? You can enjoy spectacular views of the Great Barrier Reef by seaplane or helicopter.

STAY NEAR THE GREAT BARRIER REEF >

Sydney

Topping many a traveler’s bucket list, Sydney checks off all the boxes. Gorgeous weather. Beautiful beaches. Stunning architecture. Yes, yes, and yes—all wrapped up in a laid-back Aussie vibe. Sydney also offers a vibrant art and foodie scene and abundant natural beauty—yes, the tanned and toned beach bodies—but for flora and fauna, check out Hyde Park and the Royal Botanic Gardens. The more adventurous can climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge for a bird’s-eye view of the world’s largest natural harbor. And it wouldn’t be a bucket list without a visit to the iconic Sydney Opera House.

SEE VACATION RENTALS IN SYDNEY >

Byron Bay

Craving some peace and quiet on a beautiful beach? Byron Bay is the place. Family time? Adventure activities? Byron Bay is perfect for those too. And with some of Australia’s freshest food and produce unique crafts and pottery, and jewelry, clothing, and accessories, the many open-air markets make Byron Bay a shopper’s paradise. This beautiful area of New South Wales, just south of the Gold Coast, truly has something for everyone.

BOOK A BEACH RENTAL IN BYRON BAY >

Melbourne

Melbourne offers travelers a taste of Australian art, culture, and food at its finest. As one of the world’s most liveable cities, Melbourne is home to a cosmopolitan mix of artists, musicians, academics, and business leaders, but its eclectic nature appeals to travelers as well. Enjoy the city from a local point of view with a visit to the bayside suburb of St. Kilda, where you can enjoy fish and chips while overlooking the yachts. Or spend an afternoon strolling the Dandenong Ranges or on a safari through the Werribee Open Range Zoo. Melbourne is sure to enchant and delight visitors of all ages and interests.

EXPLORE MARVELOUS MELBOURNE >

SaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

• Amanda

These pictures are absolutely STUNNING. My sister lived in Melbourne for almost a year and she would make me so jealous when she would go on so many marvelous adventures and I was stuck in gray and cold Chicago. Hope to make it to Australia one day!

October 17, 2017 at 6:26 pm
  • Claire

Australia has been on my bucket list forever! My husband visited last year and loved it!

October 18, 2017 at 2:18 am
  • Robin Rue

My oldest son (who is 13) keeps telling me that he wants to live in Australia when he grows up. I hope he does because Australia looks beautiful and I would love to go visit him there.

October 18, 2017 at 6:24 am
  • I’ve always wanted to go to Australia. There’s so much to see and do–plus it’s gorgeous! I’d love to be on that bay.

October 18, 2017 at 8:27 am
  • Boy, every last one of these pics make me want to hop on a plane a.s.a.p.! The great barrier reef is giving me life, but I’d have to learn to swim first.

October 18, 2017 at 9:31 am

I have actually started saving to go to Australia! The street has been a dream destination the plan since I was a kid and I love everything that you have mentioned earlier. I’m trying to make a list of places I would like to see and this definitely helps that.

October 18, 2017 at 10:04 am
  • Tomi_C

Australia is on my travel bucket list. I have several family and friends who have visited and said it is wonderful place to visit. I’d like to see the Great Barrier Reef one day.

October 18, 2017 at 10:07 am
  • I love to travel. I hope to do a lot more of it someday. Australia is one of my major bucket list destinations. I have heard such great things. The photos look amazing. I dream of visiting their beaches one day.

October 18, 2017 at 10:44 am
  • Australia is very high on my bucket list. The Great Barrier Reef is so dreamy, I look forward to one day seeing it with my own eyes!

October 18, 2017 at 11:00 am
  • Candy Kage

Australia and New Zealand is where we are going in couple years. The photos are beautiful, beyond beautiful.

October 18, 2017 at 12:38 pm
  • Sissy Johnson

Such gorgeous photos – I’ve never been out of the States but I’ve always wanted to travel to Austrailia.

October 18, 2017 at 1:26 pm
  • I had no idea that Melbourne was such an art district! Australia is one place my husband has always wanted to visit. I would love it too!

October 18, 2017 at 1:35 pm
  • I can’t wait to cross Australia off of my travel bucket list. Byron Bay looks and sounds like the dream spot for me and my family. I love the lush vegetation and how it just looks like it’s kind of secluded from the rest of the world. It’ll be a great place to unplug for a week or two.

October 18, 2017 at 3:21 pm
  • It would be amazing if I could finally make it out to Australia and see the Great Barrier Reef. There’s really nothing like that on the coast near me!

October 18, 2017 at 5:27 pm
  • Rebekah Osprey-Ellis

Australia is one of the many countries I am desperate to visit. The pictures included in this post are beautiful and have made me want to go even more!

October 18, 2017 at 6:23 pm
  • I have always wanted to visit Australia ever since I can remember. Now I want to go even more. My mother always wanted to go, but never made it before passing away. I hope to visit in her memory.

October 18, 2017 at 8:31 pm
  • Australia is at the top of my travel bucket list! I would love to get the opportunity to travel there one day!!

October 19, 2017 at 3:49 am
  • Lia Miller-Spicer

Went to New Zealand this summer and Australia is definitely on the list. Great pics!

October 19, 2017 at 8:45 am
  • Nikki

Australia has been #1 on my “places I really want to visit in my lifetime” list since I was a kid. I really want to see the Great Barrier Reef, and not just because I loved Finding Nemo, lol. I also want to see a kangaroo in person!

October 19, 2017 at 9:30 am
  • Oh my goodness, such beautiful photos! I would really love to visit Australia, I’ve never been!

October 19, 2017 at 9:41 am
  • Melanie E

This looks like a dream trip! All of the photos make me want to put some of these destinations on my travel list. I can’t decide what to see first!

October 19, 2017 at 9:45 am
  • Julee Morrison

Australia is on my bucket list. My parents went to Austrailia and loved it…though your pictures seem to inspire me more. The layers of color in the water is stunning!

October 19, 2017 at 9:49 am
  • I went to Sydney for a DAY about 3 years ago. Flew in and flew out – explored ALL DAY LONG. It was an amazing day. I do believe I will be going back to AUS in May of next year with my husband too! 🙂

October 19, 2017 at 10:02 am
  • I hope to go one day – I’d love to see the Opera House and the Great Barrier Reef!

October 19, 2017 at 10:22 am
  • I’ve always wanted to visit “Down Under” lol. My cousin lives in New Zealand and I was just telling my mom let’s go check for her. Outside of Antarctica, it is the last continent for me to visit. Hoping to get to all 7 before 40.

October 19, 2017 at 11:03 am
  • Kelly Reci

It looks like a beautiful place to visit. I really love to try the great barrier reef. Such a beautiful and breathtaking view. I am looking forward to it.

October 19, 2017 at 11:05 am
  • Maria Carbone

I’ve always wanted to visit Australia. Such a gorgeous place that has a lot to offer!

October 19, 2017 at 12:38 pm
  • Kita Bryant

You listed some gorgeous stops for Australia. The entire place feels like a wonderland!

October 19, 2017 at 3:56 pm
  • I didn’t realize Australia had such beauty. This is a must visit destination.

October 19, 2017 at 7:25 pm
  • Gemille Sleweon

Ive always wanted to visit Australia! I have some family there and they seem to love it. The places you’ve listed are beautiful

October 19, 2017 at 9:25 pm
  • Karlyn Cruz

These are beautiful! I’d definitely like to see at least one of the seven wonders of the world. Wow! I love that picture taken of Byron Bay. It’s so beautiful! Actually all of these places look amazing.

October 19, 2017 at 11:55 pm
  • Kristine Nicole Alessandra VA

Someday I will be there too. I just don’t know when but I will! That is a promise to myself. My dream is to see (or explore if I am still physically able) the Great Barrier Reef.

October 20, 2017 at 3:24 am
  • Dogvills

It is my life long dream to travel to Australia and New Zealand. I see pictures on the internet and it is so pretty! I love the beaches, the unique landscape, and the culture. Hopefully I get to visit at least once in this lifetime.

October 20, 2017 at 7:46 am
  • Wow the Great Barrier Reef and Byron Bay look like beautiful destinations! I’ve always wanted to visit the Sydney Opera House to hear the acoustics and the city seems like an adventurous place to explore.

October 20, 2017 at 8:50 am
  • Carissa

Beautiful!!! I have ALWAYS wanted to visit Australia! I follow another blogger who’s family just moved there for her husband to pastor a church! I follow closely because it has always been somewhere that I have wanted to go!

October 20, 2017 at 8:54 am
  • Anitra Durand Allen

Seeing the movie Finding Nemo increased my desire to want to visit Sydney. ? Also, I want to see the water go down the drain “backward.” But I may need to add Melbourne to the list. Our family loves the zoo and an Australian safari would be amazing!

October 20, 2017 at 9:43 am
  • Kirstin Fuller

Gorgeous! Australia is on my bucket list for sure. I would love to see the famed Opera house in person along with the great barrier reef.

October 20, 2017 at 10:35 am
  • Tiffany Heard

Australia has not been on my radar but I love the beach and these beaches are beautiful. I would love to hear the Australian accent.

October 20, 2017 at 12:15 pm
  • Ruthie Ridley

OMG stunning photos!!! This is a dream of mine!!!

October 20, 2017 at 2:42 pm
  • Oh My! Can I got here like NOW? This looks so beautiful and like it’s just waiting to be explored and enjoyed!

October 20, 2017 at 2:58 pm
  • I love AU! Hoping to visit the place soon. Been reading the beauty of PERTH too!

October 20, 2017 at 10:37 pm
  • Adaleta Avdic

Wow I really would love to travel there one day, it is so cool how stunning the world is!

October 21, 2017 at 12:01 am
  • TheNewClassy

My grandmother on my dad’s side immigrated here from Australia, Sydney to be exact. I really hope that I get to visit there one day.

October 21, 2017 at 7:12 am
  • I would love to visit Australia and definitely check out the opera house. And of course the beaches 😉

October 21, 2017 at 2:08 pm
  • Wow, what a great round up from Australia. We were there for over 3 weeks and didn’t even see half of the places you suggested. Now we need to go back!

October 22, 2017 at 10:56 pm
  • These pictures are amazing. One of my life goals is to see the great barrier reef in person.

October 23, 2017 at 8:47 am
  • Arlene Soriano

Your pictures are amazing and make me want to go right away. I thought only the Carriebean had amazing beaches but Byron Bay looks like my kind of area. Had no idea that Melbourne is one of the most liveable places. Who does t love Aussies ?

October 23, 2017 at 11:59 pm