DIY Summertime Tips by Fountainebleu’s Josie Feria
Summertime is by far one of the harshest seasons when it comes to beauty! Cute cuts and hot weather can prove really tricky when spending time near the pool, beach, or lake. This can ultimately give our skin and hair a beating. Being a spa enthusiast, I figured…who better to give my lovely readers some chic DIY tricks than Josie Feria, Director of Spa Operations at Lapis Spa at the Fontainebleau? These tips are replicates of spa treatments provided by Lapis — designed to whip our skin, hair, and hands back into tip-top shape.
DIY Treatment For Healthy Hair:
- Take lemon juice and warm green tea and mix mixture; apply the mixture to the scalp with brush or applicator as you separate hair and pour remaining amount through hair
- Allow mixture to remain on the scalp for a few minutes- the tea and lemon work as an astringent to cleanse scalp and hair follicles
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water and apply a combination of plain yogurt and avocado –mix 2 parts fresh avocado and 2 parts yogurt and massage into the hair in circular motions to relax the scalp and stimulate hair growth
- Gently massage temples and base of scalp line. Place a plastic shower cap on hair and wrap in a warm towel for 10 minutes or until the towel cools off
Lapis comparable service: Rescue My Hair
DIY Treatment For A Touchable Face:
- Prepare a pot of boiling water with several bags of chamomile tea – allow the tea to steep and release benefits into water
- Place face over steaming pot and cover head with a towel to trap steam. You are stimulating the benefits of a steam room.
- Place cucumbers or icy chamomile tea bags well squeezed – on eyes to reduce puffiness
- Dab off excess moisture and apply scrub cream to face in gentle circular and upward motions to face, neck and chest. Place emphasis on beard and neck to help lift any ingrown facial hairs
- Rinse thoroughly with a warm moist washcloth and apply witch hazel or rose or lavender water with spray or cotton pad
- Apply moisture lotion or cream in upward, relaxing massage strokes placing slight pressure on temples and under forehead bridge line to release tension and ease pain
- The instant result is clean, shiny skin with improved texture and appearance
Lapis comparable service: Facial
DIY Treatment For Soft Hands:
- Buff and moisturize rough skin using a scrub cream and oil or body lotion
- Mix 4 parts kosher or sea salt with 1 part warm grapeseed oil, canola oil or olive oil and mix into a paste
- Massage into hands in upward strokes and in a circular motion
- Remove with a warm/wet towel and follow with nail care by pushing back cuticle using an orange stick and filing rough nail edges with Emory board. Follow hand massage with body or hand lotion
- Wrap hands in warm cotton gloves or place in plastic bags and wrap with warm towels – the instant result is skin that’s clean, soft and luxurious
Lapis comparable service: Spalicious Manicure
Queens of Virtue was birthed through the desire to create a brand for multicultural women – to inspireHER, motivateHER, influenceHER, educateHER, empowerHER, and leadHER to make her passion and purpose, her paycheck. Travel has always been my passion and therapy, with beauty and style being my creative outlet. Originally, the brand was my blog – ‘Travel. Beauty. Style.,’ but I decided to plant seeds of expansion. I focused on becoming a certified travel consultant, but I wanted to create a platform where women can not only travel but connect through genuine togetherness. I did not want just another travel agency, so the brand operates as a DMC (Destination Management Company) and a DMO (Destination Marketing Organization) as well.
As a blogger I noticed that influencers of color were being left out of the “influence” space, especially in the luxury sector. Campaigns continued to go to black and brown destinations, yet the message appeared extremely whitewashed. So, I became the change I desired to see! No longer did I care to come to the table. I realized that my entire life, I was a master chef. I asked myself, why sit at the table, when I am the createHER of the Michelin 5-star menu? Coming from a Caribbean culture, raised in Brooklyn, NY – I knew that it takes a village! So, I built one.
The ‘She Rize” movement is all about the ‘Power in the Pack.” We are Women of Power, uplifting multicultural women, helping them to recognize their role by unleashing their Queendom that exists within. The brand offers resources within pillars of motivation – through coaching and mentoring – for small businesses and entrepreneurship development. As a woman, one of the hardest things to accomplish is being mentored and/or coached by other women. Not too many women take the time to be our sisters’ keeper. I remember looking up to Toni Morrison, Terry McMillan, and of course, Maya Angelou. Their creative works gave me the inspiration and fuel I need to ‘rize’ when the world told me I cannot! “You may shoot me with your words, you may cut me with your eyes, you may kill me with your hatefulness, but still, like air, I’ll rise!” – Maya Angelou.
I work 1-on-1 with women aspiring to take their brands higher. For those who are interested in the travel industry, you will receive mentorship and coaching, in addition to training and job placement upon industry certification. In fact, you can expect my guidance and support throughout the entire process.
For the last decade, as a digital influencer, I recognized a void within the industry. The goal is to be the bridge that connects the not-so-invisible dots. Working with women influencers and creators of color, is my passion – as well as a privilege! This initiative works with top brands, professionals, and influencers/creators (by invitation only) to create content as storytellers! Throughout the year, this collective hosts exclusive FAMs (familiarization) and Press trips for influencers to experience destinations and events, saturated in luxury and style. I also create luxury campaigns in the Travel and Lifestyle arenas. The initiative also provides a luxury digital magazine for creators and influencers, by creators and influencers called ‘Shades of Beauty, Influence of Color,’ as well as a podcast series called the ‘Queen’s Qorner,’ training, courses, and virtual travel content – all launching soon.
The vision I have for Queens of Virtue continues to transform. I hope to impact over 1,000 women globally by the end of 2022, leaving a digital footprint of change and growth. By 2025, I hope to reach over 10,000 women. When I say impact – I mean to influence, inspire, empower, educate, lead – to shape in some way, helping HER to not just tell her story, but to manifest her dreams into a sweet reality. My goal is to have properties; Airbnb’s, resorts, and Inn’s in exotic destinations around the globe, in addition, catamaran(s), private jet(s) and thousands of sustainable women-led and owned businesses under my wing by 2030. I plan to leave a legacy for my children and grandchildren. Queens of Virtue aims to be a household staple and world-renowned luxury lifestyle brand for decades to come.