Summertime Skincare Tips

The following post was written by Sapphire Kharyzma who is part of POPSUGAR Select Beauty.

Source: Shutterstock

As the weather transitions into the Summer, it’s very important to make sure your skin care regimen changes with the environment, too. Did you know that your skin is your body’s largest organ? So it is very important to nourish it. Follow these steps to score fresh, healthy, and glowing skin!

Wash Away the Day

It is important to use cleansers that cater to your particular skin type. Choose the right formula, whether it’s a cream, gel, foam, or oil. I usually wash my face morning and before bed, blotting and using facial wipes in between. Since I tend to sweat often, this helps to keep my face free of the day’s debris and environmental stressors. I have sensitive combination skin and prefer hypoallergenic-based gel and foam formulas. My favorite is Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash ($21).

Exfoliate to Accentuate

I can’t get enough of body scrubs! So much that I often go into my kitchen and brew up all sorts of luscious goodies, taking advantage of utilizing raw organic honey, raw brown sugar, ripe blueberries, lemons, and more. For the Winter months, I use sea salt instead of sugar. If you aren’t into making your own, I recommend The Body Shop Blueberry Body Scrub ($12). For your face, use a brush to get rid of dead skin without damaging your epidermis or try Lush Ocean Salt Scrub ($22).

A Queen Has to Detox

Claim an hour for yourself, take to the bathroom, light some aromatic candles, and play a calming melody. Fill the tub and drop in the Lush Bath Bomb ($5) to help offset the amazing relaxing experience you are about to endure. Add a few drops of 100 percent pure Moroccan argan oil for added perks. Make sure that you drown out all of the stressors, including the job, kids, hubby, parents, neighbors . . . whoever! This moment is about grounding yourself and recharging your batteries (wink). Now, take out that paper, clay, or mud mask, place cool recently brewed camomile tea bags over your eyes (great for puffiness), and unwind and relax as you sink into your bath! I recommend this as a weekly Sunday ritual.

Pat Dry

Never rub a hash material against your face or any other part of your skin. Dermatologists recommend patting your skin dry. This method leaves slight hydration on the skin, which will be beneficial for the next step.

Keep Skin Moisturized

Make sure you use a moisturizer that is suitable for your skin type. It is very important as you don’t want to irritate your skin by using the wrong moisturizer base and/or weight! Lightweight, creamy based, and certain oil moisturizers are usually best for warm to hot temperatures. I love The Body Shop Body Butters ($15) and Body Oils ($8).

Use Sunscreen Indoors and Out

Don’t forget to use SPF that targets a broad spectrum. SPF 30+ is my defense of choice. I love Clarins UV Plus HP Broad Spectrum SPF 40 Sunscreen Multi-Protection ($41).

Comments

• Robin Rue

I will keep these in mind for next summer. Because I tan so much, my skin always dries out. I need to remember to pat dry.

October 11, 2017 at 6:17 am
  • Alli Smith

My skin gets so dry during the fall and winter so I’m taking steps now to combat the dryness. I need all the skincare tips I can get!

October 11, 2017 at 6:49 am
  • Candy Kage

Wonderful how you listed and explained all the different steps to taking care of your skin. Plus it is nice to pamper ourselves.

October 11, 2017 at 8:11 am
  • I will keep these tips in mind. I do try to always use sunscreen whenever I go out. And I love bath bombs!

October 11, 2017 at 8:17 am
  • Tomi_C

I am all about the pat your face dry tip. Rubbing with harsh facecloths is harsh on skin. You also included one of my fave products in your posts – LUSH Bath Bombs. I usually order mine from the company directly but lately I’ve been stocking up on them at my local Macy’s. They are my indulgence. Love LUSH!!!

October 11, 2017 at 8:55 am
  • Taking care of our skin is SO important, especially in the summer when it is more exposed to the sun. I need to be mindful and exfoliate more often!

October 11, 2017 at 9:20 am
  • Eating healthfully and moisturizing are my secrets to nice skin! If I didn’t live in los Angeles, I know my skin would be 80 x better too because there would be no smog!

October 11, 2017 at 9:27 am

There is a lot of great tips here. Now that is becoming fall I wish I did a lot more over the summer so that my skin would not be so dry now.

October 11, 2017 at 9:54 am
  • These are some great tips for taking care of your skin. I’m so bad with sunscreen, but it’s a really important one.

October 11, 2017 at 11:05 am
  • Because my skin is olive, it doesn’t burn. For a long time I thought that meant I didn’t need sunscreen. Eek, how wrong I was!

October 11, 2017 at 1:58 pm
  • Adriana

These are such great tips! Exfoliating and detoxing are both huge – I exfoliate as much as possible, and more so in the summer. It makes a huge difference and honestly helps keep my tan longer! Love these tips – I already can’t wait for next summer haha!

October 11, 2017 at 2:09 pm
  • Rachel Akers

I’m with you, I’m in love with sugar scrubs. And sunscreen is such a must!

October 11, 2017 at 3:54 pm
  • Eileen Mendoza Loya

I would love to have good long soak in the tub, but given the situation I am right now, I cannot afford to do that. My husband has balance issues and i am scared he might lose his balance and fall. I don’t want him to go through another hip surgery. Anyway, maybe if I do it when he is in bed asleep. That would be so awesome.

October 11, 2017 at 4:51 pm
  • Pam W

These are great tips for summer skincare. Using sunscreen is so important for healthy skin.

October 11, 2017 at 5:01 pm
  • Amanda

I agree that sunscreen is so key, no matter the time of year. I really need to try out a bath bomb, too. Never realized it could help with anything other than simply relaxing.

October 11, 2017 at 5:14 pm
  • I’ve gotte better using sunblock, but I need to make it a daily habit. I’m not there yet.

October 11, 2017 at 5:15 pm
  • Marysa

Important to remember the sunscreen even when it isn’t summer. I do need to take better care of my skin. These are great tips, I will have to keep these in mind.

October 11, 2017 at 6:25 pm
  • Melanie E

I forgot to pull out the sunscreen I really weekend because it was a little cloudy out. I wound up getting a little too much sun on my face. That is something that I definitely need to be more mindful of.

October 11, 2017 at 7:14 pm
  • I am the worst with sunblock. I know I have to do it but somehow I just dont do it.

October 11, 2017 at 8:27 pm
  • Jessica Hughes

Everything you are doing is working because your skin looks stunningly beautiful! After getting really lucky with a bout of skin cancer, I will always advocate sunscreen year-round. I love to use lots of scrubs as well.

October 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm
  • Claudia Krusch

I love to wash off all my makeup and stress at the end of the day. I like how soft it leaves my skin to exfoliate. I think it is important to have a skincare routine.

October 11, 2017 at 8:39 pm
  • Censie 'Mumby' Sawyer

Great tips for sure. My skin gets so rough and dry during the summer here in Colorado. My hair too! I feel like my skin and hair have changed a lot as I get older so I really need to start a new skin routine to keep it nice and refreshed.

October 11, 2017 at 11:06 pm
  • AMEN to exfoliating and moisturizing!! I try to make that a part of my nighttime routine every night because I love how soft my skin feels after!!

October 12, 2017 at 12:26 am
  • I’m still in shock that I need sunscreen and getting tan in the middle of October!

October 12, 2017 at 6:19 am
  • Karlyn Cruz

As much as we all love a beautiful tan, I think the absolute most important is skin protection. I always think long-term and your investment will pay off later if you do at least this one thing.

October 12, 2017 at 10:24 am
  • I always need to moisturize and exfoliate my skin. Those are two must-do steps for me. Thanks for the tips.

October 12, 2017 at 12:03 pm
  • Truly amazing tips. Can be really helpful during summer days. Thanks for sharing!

October 12, 2017 at 1:12 pm
  • I agree with you on keeping skin moisturize. It’s one of the many skincare steps routine all seasons.

October 12, 2017 at 3:31 pm
  • Tina Butler

I was unaware that I need to change my cleaning routine for my face during different seasons. I guess I never really thought about it and just got used to using the same products year round. Thank you for the tip.

October 12, 2017 at 11:18 pm
  • Kristine Nicole Alessandra VA

Awesome tips! It is always important to moisturize. It is one thing that I do religiously. However, my choice of moisturizer would depend on the season. Thicker, richer ones are for the cold months, while light, easy to absorb kinds would be for spring and summer.

October 13, 2017 at 12:32 am
  • Lena B

So great to know! I know moisturizer is a must for every season – winter or summer and it is insanely cool how these little steps can go a long way

October 13, 2017 at 12:40 am
  • Kelly Reci

Such a great tips. It is important to take care of our skin. Keeping our skin moisture and exfoliate. Always use sunscreen protection to prevent dryness of our skin.

October 13, 2017 at 11:17 am
  • Lena B

Chillaxing is one things i have never been good at – I have no idea how to stretch in a bathtub with a candle. I did try – I end up feeling water cool or if I get too comfy – I fall asleep. That’s not good either

October 13, 2017 at 11:47 am
  • I always change my skincare regime with the season as the skin changes as well. I love cleansing milk season, lol 🙂

October 13, 2017 at 12:23 pm
  • Monica Young

Beautiful skin. I always wear mosturizer but I have to remember to have a morning and night routine all the time. By sporadic facials are not totally helping me. I need to take control of my skin as I get older.

October 13, 2017 at 1:32 pm
  • I always shower twice a day and moisturise too it’s my all year round routine I just change the products every season

October 14, 2017 at 9:52 am
  • Coralie

I am so good about my night time routine, but need to work on a morning one. Thanks for the great tips.

October 14, 2017 at 10:40 am
  • I live in Florida so we need sunscreen every day no matter the season. Helpful tips for hot days!

October 16, 2017 at 6:37 pm